Monday, November 23, 2009

Review of Star Trek

Hello again folks,

Just recently...meaning yesterday I saw Star Trek. Just as a pre-review comment...this is my very first movie review so give me a break if it is craptastic.

As a fan of Lost seeing the name J.J. Abrams directing Star Trek instantly dragged me to want to see it. Although he did not write it, he directed it and made the movie the spectacular piece of gold it is. First off I would like to say the acting in this movie was decent. There was a few cheesey minor actors but besides that nobody really failed at portraying a role. Chris Pine the actor who played James T. Kirk did an excellent job at playing a 25 year old version of Captain Kirk. Although some of the Kirk mannerisms we know are present in this movie, one can claim that the writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman made the younger Kirk something completely different than the older Kirk that Trekies know and love. The character is very rebellious and must live in his father's shadow.Zachary Quinto who played Spock, did a very good job, he got the voice and the mannerisms down pat right down to Spock's walk. Although he didn't exactly look like Nimoy but it was close enough.Out of all the actors in this movie I thought that Karl Urban did the best job at portraying Bones. He got the voice down, he literally channeled the original actor. The actors who portrayed Chekov, Scottie, Urah and Sulu were pretty good as well.
Now the storyline was a bit confusing at times, but then things made sense at the end. If you like action and adventure, then i'd venture to guess you'd love this movie. To me there wasn't a feel of the old Star Trek movies, this one has a lot more action packed moments, such as sword fighting. Overall i would give this movie a 8/10.


Thank you for reading my very first review hopefully it wasn't too painful.

3 comments :

  1. Hey Nathan, great job for your first review.
    I though Karl Urban was great as well-when I'd first heard he'd been cast as Bones, I thought it was a mistake, but he really proved me wrong.
    Just wondering-how do you feel about the writers essentially creating an entirely new Trek universe with the parllel reality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that I too watched that movie just last week, and I'm here to tell you that BLACK HOLES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

    Because of the down right insane usage of black holes in the Star Trek movie I was unable to enjoy any of the "plot". Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete